Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Food Storage is Our Friend

Food storage has really been on my mind lately. Now that we’re gathering it, I’m worried about how to use it. Let’s be honest, if emergency arises I have no idea how to cook dried beans! We very well may starve before I figure it out! And even if an emergency never arises and we don’t need the food, I would like to eventually use it so the money we spent doesn’t go to waste.

I started by learning how to bake bread. Dave’s Aunt & Uncle gave us their old bread maker when they bought a new one, so I felt a little more comfortable with the idea than just going at it. I’ve now perfected the art of white bread, learned how to make pita bread and after 4 gross attempts I’ve finally tweaked a wheat bread recipe to be fabulously light and fluffy just like a white bread. It’s moist and everything. We’ve actually stopped buying bread at the store because this is so much better tasting and health wise since we’re grinding the wheat fresh.

So my next food storage challenge, dried beans! I’ve been putting off the beans for a while because, well they’re beans. I don’t love beans. But they make up a good amount of our food storage, so I better learn to use them, right? I’ve searched the internet for how to cook them, and the reason I haven’t tried before now is because everyone and their dog recommends a pressure cooker for this process. I don’t have a pressure cooker, nor do I really see the need. What will I really use it for besides cooking dried beans?

But while I was browsing a Crockpot Recipe site Sheila recommended to me for dinner ideas, I stumbled upon how to cook your beans in the Crockpot! This lady even tell you how to make re-fried beans (we actually eat these). And the directions just seemed too simple to not try. So I’ve purchased a bag of dried beans, and I’ll let you know how it goes! I have high hopes for our food storage if this works out. Just don’t ask me how we’ll use our food storage if the power goes out. I don’t want to think about it!

5 comments:

  1. My mom uses her pressure cooker for everything! It's just like regular cooking, but way faster. But yeah, she made beans in a crockpot my whole childhood.

    The thing about food storage is that the emergency you're preparing for is not necessarily an end-of-the-world disaster, but a personal emergency, like being out of work for a while. So for the most part, you don't have to worry about cooking without electricity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, but when you read the "Emergency Essentials" catalogs they try the scare tactics to make you think you need the $200 charcoal cooking stove thing with a year supply of charcoal to run it... It's funny to think about though

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can get lots of practice cooking in a dutch oven out at the cabin if you want to try doomsday scenarios. Maybe that should be your next big buy. Plus you don't have to use the dutch oven just outside. You can use it in your oven as well so it's multifuctional. Something I have an inkling you may appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've long wanted to get a solar oven/bake box thingy. Then I don't have to heat up the house in the summer, AND cook in emergencies. But if I was without power, I'd probably just fire up the grill. Best hundred bucks I ever spent...er, had my dad spend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want a dutch oven so bad! We have about $35 REI Bucks and when it stops snowing and we can do some camping we plan to use that to pay for part of one. We're also hoping to find one at a garage sale this summer.

    As for a grill, that's on our "what to buy with our tax return" list for next year. If we can find one at a garage sale or super cheap we'll get one sooner, but for now we'll just have to pray for no major disaster so we can eat!

    ReplyDelete