Monday, June 9, 2014

Week Long Celebration of my Birth

Last Tuesday was my Birthday! Monday night Dave didn't get home from work until 10 pm, so I decided it was going to be a casual day for all of us. Started a few crafts that I've wanted to work on for a while now. Some I finished, some I didn't.


Logan had a white t-shirt that he wouldn't wear (because it didn't have anything on it), so I painted a version of the American flag on it. I liked how it turned out, and although he swore he hated it and would never wear it, he has worn it twice since I made it. So success there!


I also finished a bird house I had the supplies for for 2 months, but never got around to painting. All the supplies cost me $5 (including paint). I made it because Dave requested more girly stuff around the house. I don't really do girly, so this is the best I could come up with. It sits on the mantle, beside our family pics (for the spring/summer).


Just to put it into size perspective, here it is. I switch out what I put on the end of the mantle, depending on the season.


I also sanded and later in the week painted this picture frame (and framed the temple picture). It was a beat up frame with a dark wood finish (but with lots of dings and scratches). I love how it turned out, and have it hanging in the TV room, downstairs.

I also started collecting material to make a USA flag table runner. Well, I thought the pattern was for a table runner, but it's really a lap quilt. I will probably do the math and figure out how to make it a table runner instead. I would love a lap quilt, but don't have the time right now for another quilt (I'm trying to finish hand quilting one, and I'll have this year's quilting class quilt to finish by Saturday).

Other than that, I didn't do dishes or any absolutely necessary cleaning all day long. On Birthdays in our house you don't have to do any more work than absolutely necessary. So we played, Logan got to watch a movie, and we had Shrimp Fried Rice for dinner, with Key Lime Pie for dessert (which I didn't have to cook). We also enjoyed some ice cream and candy somewhere throughout the day. Logan got pretty grumpy towards the end of the day, but we survived until Dave got home to help out with them.

Friday we worked like crazy in the yard so we could have a more casual weekend. Dave tore out an old wooden fence in our back yard that had started rotting. We will eventually connect the back gate to the gazebo so the back yard is still fenced off again, but for now, a section of it is open. I love that I can sit on the gazebo and swing with Dustin and now watch Logan playing in the sand box. Dave also mowed the lawn and I did a ton of weeding and strawberry picking. We have been getting tons of berries this year! It's so awesome.

Saturday morning Dave went on his weekly long run (he's training for a half marathon that happens in July). The boys and I went with my friend RiKelle to a huge garage sale in Downtown Salt Lake. There were a lot of sellers, but a ton of junk. I was able to find a bike for Logan ($7), and a baby gate big enough to block off the gazebo's entry ($10) I have to figure out how to attach it to the wall so it can be removed (I don't want to leave it outside all the time), but other than that it's perfect!

That afternoon the boys and I visited my mom (who is recovering from surgery), while Dave worked on his resume and portfolio. That night Dave went to see a movie with his Dad while I had a casual night painting my toes and reading a book. It was nice, but I missed spending Saturday with Dave.

Sunday after church we spent a lot of time outside. Logan played in the sand box, we swung on the swing and played in the hammock. It was just the casual Sunday we needed. Now I'm trying to figure out what to make for dinner and what to do for FHE. Oh, and clean up the house and do the laundry. I swear that's a never ending battle!

No comments:

Post a Comment