Monday, August 23, 2010

Don't you want to feed us tomorrow?

We received a weird phone call last night. Technically we didn't even receive it, Dave's brother Blaine did, but I'll explain the background first. Dave has wanted to invite a family from the ward over for some time now. He thinks the husband is a great guy, and wanted me to have the opportunity to get to know the wife as well. He mentioned this to the husband a few weeks ago, although due to our INSANE schedule recently we haven't had the time to extend an actual offer.

Last night Dave's brother Blaine knocks on the door saying this family was calling and wanted to know if they could come over for dinner the following day, or would Friday work better? What?!? Because they are a family of 6 I probably wouldn't have invited them to dinner in the first place. We don't have a kitchen table big enough to seat all these people. I probably would have invited them over for games and dessert. AND because they called Blaine rather than us they now have invited them too and I'm supposed to feed 8 people the following night... oh, did I mention that I've been out of town (on business followed by a camping trip) for the past week? We don't even have milk in the house, let alone enough of the same one dinner for 10 people!!! I can't just skip work so I can shop for food and create a culinary masterpiece.

So I told Blaine to tell them we couldn't do Friday (I have a work retreat we've already committed to) and they could come over for games the following night (tonight) if they wanted. They're coming over soon and bringing treats. Now I just have to clean up the tornado that is our house so we have somewhere to play said games. Not that I want to entertain when I should be grocery shopping, cleaning, etc... but I feel a little forced into this. I guess I'd rather just get it over with than have it looming over my head until I feel obligated to invite them over or until they feel like inviting themselves over again.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Um....I'm glad you didn't end up having to cook for all those people. The nerve! I have certain family members who do this to me all the time. They call to say they're coming over with about 30-40 minutes notice, stay ALL day and I end up having to put all my plans on hold and cook for a crowd. It's so annoying!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! They just killed me, it's never polite to invite yourself over, but hopefully I handled it well and they weren't offended... if not, oh well

    ReplyDelete