Monday, May 9, 2011

Saturday is a busy day!

Saturdays are such busy days for us! Lately they've started with my waking up and starting the yogurt and bread machines. Every other week I'll head out to the grocery store after that and do our shopping. Then we come home, clean the house, work in the yard, and run any other errands that are needed.

Every other week I also have to plan a lesson for Gospel Doctrine, but that doesn't take too long if I've looked over the lesson in advance. And this year I'm teaching New Testament, so it's a lot less researching than last year (Old Testament). I do enjoy teaching the class, although I'm glad I'm not teaching every week.

Now that Dave's done with school for the summer, the yard is starting to come together too. If the weather stays nice, we'll need to start planting our garden soon. We need to transplant some of our raspberry starts (that grew from last year's plants) from a massive clump of baby raspberries to one respectable row. We haven't gotten any berries yet, but I'm really hoping to in the next few years. If we get enough, I'd love to make jelly! I was planning moving the starts tonight, but it is raining and 40 degrees out! So it will have to wait. I've also started diving into the weeding... it's quite the feat with all the flower beds we were cursed/blessed with.

We're trying to decide what big yard project we want to take on this year. First choice is to downsize our front right side flower bed (filling in the non-garden with sod and making the bulk of that garden a rock garden so we don't have to weed as much). This process will probably require us to put in new trim on that side, since the current trim is cemented in and I don't know if breaking it up and trying to recurve the section will work.

Second, we could choose to tear out the flower garden in the front yard middle and build that space up so it's more of an elevated garden (hopefully) giving our house more dimension to it (look less boxy). This will be more work than it sounds like, because I want to dig up and dry all the beautiful daffodils we currently have planted so we can plant them again in the fall. Also, after we pull out the daffodils we need to ultimate death spray the bed, because it's infested with the morning glory weed. So it will be a slow process. Oh decisions, decisions!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. Our "soil" is such a joke here that nothing grows in it. We have to bring in topsoil and you run into huge rocks every 5 inches, so you can't even shovel it. Ahh, the desert. I'm hoping to get something planted this year! I'd die to have raspberries!

    ReplyDelete