Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Work it harder, Make it better, Do it faster, Makes us Stronger, More than ever, Hour After, Our work is never Over

Sorry to have to start with lyrics, but "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" pretty much sums up our life lately! We go to work (& school for Dave), come home work on the basement, go to sleep, and start all over again! Dave does homework while I try to keep up with the house work and cooking, we go to church on Sunday, and that's about it. But we've gotten so much done!

This weekend we did the tile in the kitchen downstairs!!! Well, we have it laid, we still need to grout and seal it and add the trim... but I'm feeling good about what we got done.

Dave and I started laying the tile out Saturday morning around 8. His brother Blaine joined us around 9:30 - 10:00 and I left them to the hard work so I could tear out that wall in the basement bedroom (let's be honest, I have really enjoyed tearing out walls, and I've gotten pretty good at it lately). We found with tiling two is the perfect number, 3 is too much help. When Blaine left I was able to help out with the last half of the basement. We got a pretty good system down by the time we finished.

Last night I was able to start the tile trim. I'm going to have to either rent a tile cutter for an hour or see if I can sweet talk a Home Depot worker into cutting 4 pieces to finish off the edges. It kills me to have to pay to rent the cutter again, so we'll see what I can do when I go into Home Depot. I think I should be able to finish the trim up tonight so we can grout and seal the grout this weekend. Maybe ambitious, but it's worth a try! I'm really not sure how long it takes to grout and seal... but We'll read the directions and figure it out. I'll post some pics once we get the trim completely in (or when it's grouted... I'm not sure yet).

Admit it, the next time you need to tear down drywall, you're totally going to call me for help! Last night I was able to cut out the drywall for the new wall and put into the bedroom. It's not too hard now that Dave's taught me how to do it. The drywall and mudding I figure this could be a side project for me when he's busy this week. That way we can spend our major time together finishing up the kitchen. We have just about 3 weeks left until Blaine and Angela get married and want to move in... so it's really getting down to crunch time!

Side note, I totally fought off a lady trying to cut in front of me in line this week! And I WON (did you honestly expect me to loose?). I got in line, a few minutes later she comes up and steps right in front of me (she made eye contact, she knew I was there). So I move in front of her. We do this a few times before there was a cashier ready to help "who was next".

We both sprint to the cashier and I throw my stuff down on the counter as she blurts out "I'm ready... oh, did you need something?" Yes,  I was in line before you. What makes you think I'm just going to let you go first. You don't look terminally ill, elderly, or you don't have a screaming kid... maybe you're hung over and have a killer head ache and really need to get back into bed? If so just tell me and I'll let you go first. But I didn't say that... instead I used the PC "Yes, I was waiting to check out before you. Maybe you didn't see me." So she could use the lame excuse of "Oh. You're right, I must not have seen you standing there." What can I really do but roll my eyes?

People can either make you mad or make you smile. I decided she would make me smile and roll my eyes.

2 comments:

  1. So I guess Home Depot has a tile cutting station in the store... no need to sweet talk after all. It's all cut and drying! We will start grouting this weekend, hooray!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want before and after peektures!!

    ReplyDelete