Monday, September 28, 2009

Basement in Progress: Good News & Bad News



So we'll start with the good news The downstairs kitchen is looking KILLER AWESOME! It only took us 4 hours to get the grout laid on Saturday (tons of work and tons of scraped up fingers), but the results were well worth it! Check out our perfect tile lines! Even the trim lines up perfectly!

 

This center design Dave created on a whim while I was hosting the bridal shower for Angela. Wow, talk about the most amazing thrown together center design I've ever seen. It doesn't exactly match the modern style we were going for in the kitchen (this is far more classic), but I love it and we can tweak other things around to make this work.

 

The cabinets & sink will be on the right hand side, so this design will kind of frame the under the sink area. Hopefully it will have a nice effect!

 

First of all, isn't this Russian Blue delicious??? I didn't realize how much we love blues and greens until we started painting the house. I know every time we paint I say this, but this is by far my favorite of the blues! I took a picture of this wall in particular because this is the wall that used to have the wood panel on it. It's the one I had to rip the dry wall out of and replace, mud and tape. All in one week. Almost all by myself. Needless to say, I'm pretty proud of this wall.

Now for the bad news... So last night I was trying to recover from our insane Saturday of work (7am to 11pm we worked with a break during Women's Conference). Dave decided to head downstairs to check out our handy work and see if we needed to do another coat of paint in the downstairs bedroom. He comes upstairs with bad news. the last coat of paint is drippy and there are white spots... we have to sand down the drippy and do it again!!! I was so exhausted that I didn't even want to go look at it and think about how much more work this was going to be.







Long story short, after much searching this morning, I found the drippy part. It's behind the door in the far left hand corner of the room. It's not at all bad! We can sand it down, or I can rub alcohol on it to smooth this down, or we can just leave it (I'm voting for the latter).

 

I threw this shot in not only because of the drip, but notice the color of the trim? It's a peach color!!! We thought it was off white until we painted the primer on the yellow walls. and the peach trim and ceiling popped out. so then we had to paint the ceiling and next we'll be doing the trim... Sigh, the work is never done!






Here's the white spot. It's completely my fault. I did the last run with the roller and scraped up this edge... The problem with this part is the line is about a foot long! So off to Home Depot today to see if they have sample size little paint jars so I can fix this one spot... MAN why did I do that last run with the roller?!?

On the table for this week: seal the grout, install the cabinets, paint bedroom trim and order counter tops, fridge, and door to basement! The end is in sight, oh yes it is!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I do not cease to be totally impressed with your house-fixing-ness. You are a true goddess. Working goddess. Busy goddess. I absolutely LOVE that tile design Dave did! I didn't know he was so creative. I think it still works ok with a contemporary design. (but I'm no decoratoe). And, I love that you described a paint color as "delicious"... but shouldn't that be used to describe your peach trim? After all, peaches are delicious! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Harmony! I'm so proud of what we've been able to accomplish but sometimes I wonder if it actually looks good, or if I just think it looks good. It's nice to hear someone else thinks it looks great too!

    ReplyDelete