Friday, February 19, 2010

In Which I Clutch my Steering Wheel While Praying for My Life

So this morning was one of those “Oh crap!” car moments for me, followed by a learning experience. My car has been shaking a little on the freeway lately, and I’ve been watching it with concern.

Well this morning when I drove through the freeway construction that takes me to my work I hit some bumps in the road. I’m not talking about little cement to asphalt transitions, but big divots that we have no choice but to drive over. And it’s on the freeway, which means I’m going 65. So I hit these bumps and my car starts violently shaking! So much so that I think I figure I must pull over to see what I’ve hit/what’s wrong.

I get under 50 and the shaking stops… weird… It happens again at the next bump in the road. So I swing by the car place to have them check it out. I explain and mention all the strange things that have happened to my car in the past two months so as to help assess the problem. The results? “Well it’s the Green crap you have lining your right tire. There’s so much in there that it’s throwing your tire balance off. We scraped it out and re-balanced your tires. You bought your tires here; we’ll fix flats for free.”

Oh. My fault. Um… Really, the Fix-A-Flat? For those of you not familiar with the product, it’s to fix slow leaks, or be a temp fix for bigger leaks. It’s a bottle of goo that you pump in your tire and you should be good. I don’t know why this is a problem now, when I haven’t used the Fix-A-Flat since I had a slow leak in September, but maybe it’s because there haven’t been such insane bumps on the road as construction this morning presented. No matter what the case may be, problem solved. Lesson learned. I feel dumb… Learn from my mistake and don’t use Fix-A-Flat!

4 comments:

  1. Really? I've used fix-a-flat a couple times with no problems. And frankly, I say "any port in a storm" if you're stranded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did opt for the biggest size they sell thinking "That will take care of it! I'll never have to worry about it again". Maybe I should have used the small guy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm, that's fishy about the fix-a-flat. But your car story on the freeway immediately reminded me of the time whenwe were teenagers, driving down 1-75 in the Duckmobile, and you pulled the keys out of my ignition!! Looking back on that, I think we could have died. Good thing we didnt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yah... very stupid, I don't know why I did that! I must have had a reason at the time...

    ReplyDelete