Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Better Be Careful Now! It's Dog eat Dog

For the vast majority of our married life Dave’s wanted to get a pet. A dog to be specific. Not just any dog, a big dog! In case you didn’t know BIGGER = MANLIER & BETTER. I’ve never had a dog; I never even had the desire to have a dog. So I started looking into dogs to see what I would be ok with and what we could handle.

When we originally had this conversation we were in an apartment without a yard, and knew we couldn’t keep a dog locked up in that place. When we moved into our house we again had the conversation and agreed it wasn’t fair to leave a pet alone all day long. And since we weren’t willing to commit to two pets, we had come to the decision that until I’m no longer working we wouldn’t get a pet.

Then my Uncle James Brown called… He has the nicest, calmest husky I’ve ever met. It’s a great dog. Although it likes to wander away and escape let off her leash, she’s got the temperament we would want in a dog. James and my Aunt Rebeccah are moving to Washington and asked us to watch the dog (Cheyenne) until they sell their house. The deal breaker is they will pay for all doggie expenses and a little extra for our “troubles”.

So that means at the end of March we will be the owners of a husky indefinitely. I’m a little excited to have a non-committal pet. It will be good to get a feel for if we really can handle the obligation of owning a pet without having to figure out what to do with it if the answer is “we’re not”.  It’s also nice that this test won’t cost us a thing. I’ve thought several times about how a “Rent-a-dog” place would be the perfect solution for many, and this is as close as we’re going to get!

3 comments:

  1. Good Luck! I look forward to many a blog about the dog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really hoping she doesn't do anything extraordinary enough to warrant special posts, but I'm sure you'll see her in passing from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rent-a-dog! Or Rent-a-Pet! How could that be any different from Rent-a-Center? I think it's a great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete