Thursday, September 15, 2011

The week of Spaghetti Sauce

This week has been a crazy one! Monday I told myself I'd take a day off to do something fun, and here it is, Thursday and I don't think I'll get a day off this week. Man, being a mom is a lot more work than I thought it would be!

We've been blessed with an abundance of tomatoes in our garden this year! I'm done with the dicing of salsa, and since the tomatoes have kept pouring in, I decided to make Spaghetti Sauce with what we have in the fridge from last week (about a Walmart bag full). 

I used my mom's Italian Spaghetti Sauce recipe, multiplied it by 4, removed the meat (since I don't have a pressure cooker for processing) and added a few ingredients to make it a veggie sauce (carrots, squash, zucchini, mushrooms and purple bell peppers). It made 11 jars worth of sauce. According to Dave it's "not the best sauce you ever made, but probably the second best". 

Our garden is far from being done producing tomatoes, so I may have to do this again! It ended up costing something like 30 or 40 cents a jar to make (because I had all the veggies except the mushrooms, just had to buy that, tomato paste and lids for canning).

Wednesday Heather and Clancy had their baby girl Briar! She's 4 lbs 10 oz and is so cute. She has a little brown hair, and the cutest little face. I've already decided Logan and she will have to be best friends. They're only a month apart, so they'll go through all the stages of childhood together. I started a baby blanket for Briar, and now I HAVE to finish it.

Sunday we took Logan to church for the first time! He did well (ate through Sunday School, and slept the rest of the time). We're planning to have his baby blessing on October 9th, and the bishop is getting everything set up so we can do so.

Logan's been good this week, just eating like crazy and doing his best to catch up with his cousins in the weight department. He's got a ways to go, but he's doing his best!

2 comments:

  1. So excited about baby Briar!!

    So...how many tomato plants did you guys have this year?! Sounds like you had about a half acre, haha. Good for you for preserving them in salsa and spaghetti sauce. Sounds like a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did 7 plants this year. Last year we did 6 and ended up with one batch of salsa. This year with 7 we have gotten 48 pints of salsa (threw batches), and 11 quarts is spaghetti sauce so far! And we're not even close to done!

    Just a good year I guess! We didn't so anything different.

    ReplyDelete