Monday, June 18, 2012

Father's Day and Library Cards

We had a grand Father's Day yesterday! Saturday night Logan decided not to go to sleep until sometime around 3am (when I remembered to give him something for his teething pains...), so we woke up later than normal. I made Dave waffles with fresh strawberries from the garden and fresh apricots from our tree (and strawberry syrup).

We spent a relaxing morning slowly getting ready for church, and put Logan down for his pre-church nap. Then we made our mistake. We laid down for a small rest... and woke up two hours after church started. Dang! I guess we needed the sleep, but we were sad to miss Father's Day Sunday.

So spent the majority of the day playing with Logan, napping (during his second nap too), and eating delicious food. For dinner I made Steak (marinated in a Hawaiian bbq sauce), creamy mashed red potatoes, fresh green beans, and banana cream pie. I didn't make a whole pie, just two mini pies (we don't need to eat a whole pie between the two of us!) Everything was delicious and we had fun preparing it.

I tried something new with the mashed potatoes. I chopped them up and threw them in the crock pot, covered them with water, and stuck them outside on the gazebo on high for 4 hours. By the time dinner was almost done, all I had to do was drain, mash and prep them. It was nice not to have to heat up the house just for the taters. They probably didn't have to cook that long, but that's when we felt like having dinner.

We finished up the night by watching some Avatar (the cartoon series) and eating some fruit salad. Something about this time of year makes me want to consume mass quantities of fruit!

On a different note, I had two library cards for almost 3 years now. One is to our little city library, and the other is for the library in downtown Salt Lake City. I got the one downtown when I was going to school at the U and was constantly passing the SLC library on my way to work/school/home on the train.

When we moved to Taylorsville I got a second card fully intending to switch libraries, but sometimes there are books that the little library doesn't have. So I kept both cards. But now I have a real reason to have two cards. SLC library has electronic books for checkout and Taylorsville doesn't! So instead of being #224 on the list to read the second in a series, I picked up my electronic copy today! So nice, such short waits for popular books. I LOVE electronic books.

2 comments:

  1. Sleeping in + eating good food + Avatar sounds like the PERFECT Father's Day to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish our local library did ebooks. They're way too small to be that advanced yet. The food sounds delish! I'll come for next Fathers day!

    ReplyDelete