Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Gluten Free and Walnut-Crusted Salmon

It's been a busy week around here! Last Saturday I went to my monthly quilting class, and Dave and Logan went to Dave's Parents to help do some sheet rocking and mudding. Dave was there most of the day, but they got most of the work done.

I found out last week I have a mild aversion to Gluten (wheat products). It's not considered on the same level as Celiac Disease, but a gluten free (GF) diet is still recommended at least for 2 - 3 months. I've done some research and decided.

I'm going to wait until January 1 before I make any changes to my diet. The Dr said it won't kill me to wait, and this way I can get in my fix of pies, cakes, cookies, pizza, doughnuts, breads, and licorice before I start. Then I have a few months to find good substitutes.

Sometimes after at least 2 - 3 months of GF living, a mildly gluten averse person like myself can re-introduce gluten into their diet. How do you know? You try some and if you get violently ill you can't bring it back. After doing some research I decided that although 2 months is the bare minimum, I think I'll wait at least 4 months before I re-introduce gluten.

Also, because I'm only mildly averse toward gluten, I'm not cutting out the questionable products. Like oats, and products that say on the back "may contain trace forms of gluten" because they were made in a factory that also makes wheat products. This will make life substantially easier.

That being said, I've been thinking a lot about food lately, and created this fabulous recipe. I got the orange sauce from a Better Homes and Gardens recipe, and the idea for a nut encrusted salmon from Red Rock (a restaurant/brewery in downtown Salt Lake City).

This recipe is heavenly! I love the sweet of the maple and the zing of the orange. It's totally worth buying the pure maple syrup for. It makes a difference.



Walnut-Crusted Salmon with Orange Maple Glaze

4 servings of salmon
Flour for sprinkling
Salt and pepper to taste
4 T pure maple syrup
1 c walnut pieces (finely chopped)
2 T vegetable oil
½ c orange juice
1/8 t cumin
1/8 t cayenne pepper
1 T corn starch

Stir orange juice, 1 T of syrup, cumin, cayenne, and corn starch in a small pot. Cook uncovered 1 – 2 minutes (until slightly thickened).

Trim your salmon so it is ½ inch thin (some cuts of meat come naturally this thin, others you need to lay on it’s side and slice it so it’s thin). Dry off the meat if any juices are on it. Lightly dust with flour, salt and pepper.

Put the oil in a pan and start heating up. Place 3 T syrup in a dish and put the crushed pecans in a second dish. Dip the salmon in the maple syrup, then press meat in the pecans. Mix any remaining syrup with the walnuts and place on top of the salmon. Cook the meat 3 – 4 minutes per side.

To serve: pour the orange sauce over the salmon. Rice is a great side with this!

No comments:

Post a Comment