Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Break in!

Logan and I went to the library today. It wasn't a long trip. just in, visit the chinchillas, get 5 new books for Logan and out again. On our way home we got a phone call from Angela (Dave's brother Blaine's wife who lives in the basement).

Someone had tried to break into our house while we were gone. She, Blaine and their daughter were all home. The guy broke down the basement door. They were downstairs, so they ran in the bedroom and Blaine loaded his shotgun. The police said the noise of it loading probably scared off the burglar, because he just left.

If Blaine and Angela weren't home to scare them off, Logan and I would have gotten home while the guy was in the house. I don't know what the guy would have done if I walked in on him. Just thinking about that is a little freaky.

So nothing was stolen, but we'll be spending the evening fixing a broken door. Our insurance deductible is $1,000 and it's only going to cost $200 to fix the door. So we're out the cash, but fortunately nothing else! I'm glad it wasn't bad. Nobody got hurt, and nothing was taken.

I looked up the statistics and it turns out 22% of americans in suburban America will be broken into more than once in their lives. 36% will only be broken into once, and 12% three or more times. So we should be good for a while statistically (eyes rolling). Makes me feel a LITTLE better, but Dave still wants to get a gun. We'll see in a month or so if he still feels the same way.


On a happier note, here's a picture of the top of my latest quilt (as requested by my Aunt). I'll bind it with navy blue trim and the back will end up green. It's not really my style, but it's going to turn out well. I like individual squares, but I don't just love them all together. The little navy squares were supposed to be red, but I switched them our for navy. I like it a lot better this way. I also moved around a few of the other squares too.

2 comments:

  1. There was a family in our ward who had a home invasion. The guy was running from the cops, jumped their fence and crawled in through the dog door! Definitely scary. Glad everyone is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that is FREAKY about the break in! I don't think I'd be able to sleep after that! So glad that nobody got hurt. Sheesh, what is this world coming to...

    I love your quilt, though. Lots of happy colors, especially the teal!

    ReplyDelete