Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Brooklyn's Blessing & Visiting Grandpa Yoder

 This weekend was Brooklyn's baby blessing! She was so cute in her dress. I of course had to do a few photo shoots to make sure we got a good shot. She's so sleepy I think we did 4 photo shoots in all.



I made the dress for her a month before she was born, and followed a 0 - 3 months pattern. But a week ago I tried the dress on her and she had gained too much weight to fit into it! It fit over her head, but her belly was way too big. So I had to cut a 5 inch slit down the back, line it and add a button closure. It worked out, but one more week and even that wouldn't have been enough.




By the time I was done I had about 200 photos to go through and pick from. So these are the best of the bunch.




The blessing went well. We had a lot of the family come and get to hear the blessing. It talked a lot about her being faithful and a positive influence on her friends. It's funny, with the boys I don't think their blessings talked about friends, but girls are so influenced by their friends.



Saturday, since my parents were in town anyway, they threw a family dinner on our gazebo. It was nice to get to see everyone and visit. The kids had tons of fun playing with the balloons the Grandparents bought (for Rea's birthday), and messing around with each other. They spent most of the time on the trampoline.


I can't believe how big they all have gotten! They all look like big kids now. It's pretty fun to see them all interact.


Since it was Rea's birthday she decided she wanted to get a pinata. So the kids all took turns hitting it. It was pretty tough to break open, but they finally did it and enjoyed the candy inside!



 Even Brooklyn enjoyed her balloon. I put it in her hand and when she moved it would move, which made her excited and she would kick, causing more reaction! She also had fun talking to it.

She's recently started talking and smiling in response to people. She won't always do it, but sometimes she will talk back to us.


Sunday after the blessing my Mom, Dustin, Brooklyn and I headed down to Hurricane to visit my Grandparents Yoder. My Grandpa recently found out he has cancer and doesn't have long to live. So my Mom offered to drive me down for a visit, since she was going anyway. I didn't think I could get in a good visit with 3 kids, so I left Logan with Dave. He had school Monday, so after school he went to a friend's house.

The visit was good. It's hard to see my Grandpa who is usually so driven, to be feeling poorly, but I'm glad I got to sit with him. I asked him a question he used to always ask me when I would visit him during my college years: What one scripture proves the church is true? Back when he would ask me I would give my answer and he would always reply no, and tell me what scripture he picked that time. The answer always changed, so even if I remembered the verse he said last time it was always different.

This time he had two verses for me. First he said "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." (Matthew 5:48) But he followed it up quickly by telling me to always stay true to the gospel of Christ. That "What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean" (Isaac Newton). He told me to always love my children. Even if they fall away from what I have taught them, love them. Pray for them and they will eventually come back to what they know is right.

Since my Mom was asked to give his eulogy, she asked what he wanted shared. He divided the topic up into 1. His service in the Church 2. The Coastguard and 3. His work career. It was interesting to hear about all his callings in the church as well as how he met my Grandma. He has accomplished so much in his life, and it was great to hear all that too.


Grandpa also presented me with his Hoofibou. It's something he picked up in Alaska. When Dave and I were first married Grandpa told Dave that it was his pet dog that he had mounted after it died when he was a young boy. For years Dave believed Grandpa's dog was hanging in Grandpa's Ronald Reagan bathroom. So now it hangs prominently in my sewing room to remind me of Grandpa.

It was a long trip going down and back in 24 hours, but I'm so glad I got to visit with him and Grandma. We have a family trip planned to head down in a few weeks, and I hope to be able to see him again then.

No comments:

Post a Comment