Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Holidays call for creativity

Check out this killer awesome hat I finished crocheting during the Snowtorious B.I.G.!



I'm pretty proud of it because it's the first crochet item I've made while following a pattern. I guess technically the flower the pattern called for was ugly (I made it before I decided this). So I ended up eyeballing this flower from a headband my sister Sheila made for me... and I had to add 4 extra rows to make the had big enough for my head (what can I say? I take after mom), but all in all I consider it a "learn to read patterns" success.

Which is a good thing because a sweet little lady in my ward decided she didn't need the vast majority of her crochet patterns any more and has given them all to me! I've gone through them and pulled out the patterns I want, Sheila's gone through some of them, and I'll bring the remainder to Thanksgiving this weekend to offer to Dave's mom. Anything that is left I'll donate to DI so they can find a new home.

So I've got my work cut out for me in future blankets, pot holders, pin cushions, bags, baby booties (good thing I have a niece and a nephew!) and one not 70's sweater. I'm super excited, and have several balls of left over yarn that will work for a few of the smaller projects (old yarn = free project). Now if I only had some more time on my hands...

Now that the hat is done, I've started making a blanket for Dave's Birthday. A few months ago Dave found out one of the blankets at my parents house not only had I made, but I had made it for an ex-boyfriend. When we broke up I had given it to my parents, so Dave has felt entitled to that blanket. So he took it! So we can give that blanket back to my parents, I'll do my best to complete this blanket quickly!

I've also finished a robe I was making for myself for Christmas. I wanted it to be super warm (what can I say, I'm a cold pansy) so I lined the top half with two layers of fleece. It turned out pretty well if I do say so!


3 comments:

  1. Good work my friend! very impressive indeed. so i'll put in my requests early so you can send it in time for chirstmas ;p jk.

    and totally awesome news for dave! i hope we get to hear similar good news here too :)

    take care and happy creations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That robe looks so cozy! Nice job. I'm excited that Dave got the internship. I'm sure he'll do a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo Hoo! Love the hat. It looks so cute! I just finished doing some fingerless gloves and wore them for the first time today.
    The great thing about making something- you have to make it for yourself the first time to make sure it'll fit right!

    ReplyDelete