Thursday, January 12, 2012

The time to set goals

I'm not big at conforming. But for some reason, Dave felt the need to set some resolutions for the New Year, so I told him we could set some family "goals" so I didn't feel like they would just fall apart in a few months like most resolutions do.

So we decided on four. Not a huge list, but things we figure we have the ability to accomplish. They are as follows:

1. Daily family scripture study of the Book of Mormon. We already are doing this, but sometimes we miss, and we don't always read where we left off. No real accountability. This time we set actual weekly page numbers goals on this one so we're done with the entire book by the end of December. Actually the numbers are a little more aggressive so we have a little wiggle room, if we strictly follow the schedule we'll be done some time in November. Since I'm teaching this book for Gospel Doctrine this year, this will also help me have my chapters read before I go to prepare my lesson.

2. Monthly Temple Night. We used to do this... then we had a baby and with him nursing for an hour every two hours, it got hard to leave him. But he's on a better schedule, so we're committing to do this every month this year! And January's already done :)

3. Get a babysitter for a fun date night once a month. This is so hard when Dave's in school! He usually will only take a half hour break or something like that, but we both need a sanity break, so we're committing to this too. While Dave's in school, this will give us two "out of the house dates" a month (temple night, and fun date night). And we'll do something less time evolved on the weeks we don't have an out date planned. And when Dave's done with school in May... Look out! Date night every week! But for now, one a month sounds heavenly.

4. Weekly FHE with something Logan can participate in. Right now we tend to read an article, or go do something church related, and it's not always weekly. Not exactly something that Logan's going to learn from... So I'm trying to figure out a way to incorporate him in the lessons. Not really sure how yet... but we'll figure something out! We actually had structure this week (lesson, activity, treat), so that was a step in the right direction.

I also set a few goals for Logan too:

1. Stop waking up at 6 am! He started this when we were in Zions and hasn't quite stopped yet! 6 is too early for me

2. Learn to say Mama before Dada

3. Walk some time this year

That's about it! Nothing too involved for the little guy. Don't want him to feel too much pressure.

1 comment:

  1. I love Logan's #2 goal! Too funny! Can I set goals for my kids too? I think if I did they would rebel and do the opposite!

    ReplyDelete