Wednesday, June 5, 2013

31 is going to be a GREAT year!

Monday was my 31st Birthday! I was a little sad that it was on a week day, but it turned out good. I took the car for the day, so Logan and I started off by taking a trip to Walmart to pick up some fresh ingredients for dinner. I have been wanting to make some home made sushi, so that was the plan for dinner. We also stopped by Target to pick up a sun guard for Logan's window (for a road trip we have for this weekend).

We came home and started chopping fruits and veggies (mangos, lemons, sweet potatoes, cucumbers, jalapenos and avocados). I also got the shrimp and crab out to thaw. Logan and I then just did some relaxing. He played while I cut out a pair of PJ pants I bought the material for some time over the winter. During Logan's nap I got to do most of the sewing on these. I didn't finish, but it was nice to get them mostly done.


When Logan woke up we went on a walk and started the rice to make sushi. I had mixed up the spicy mayo and the sweet eel sauce the day before, so we didn't have to make that. Since we took the car for the day, we picked him up from Trax at 5:30 and headed home to make some sushi!


Oh man, it was delicious! My favorite combos were (1) shrimp, mango, spicy mayo inside out toped with poppy seeds (2) crab, avocado, cucumber, jalapeno, cream cheese inside out with sweet eel sauce drizzled on top. Our first rolls were a little messy, but we got pretty good by the end. We made 5 rolls to enjoy that day, and since nothing was raw, made 5 more for the following day. I did the math, and after you take out the fixed cost of supplies, it pretty much will now cost $12 for 10 rolls in the future.


It took a long time to make and eat dinner (about an hour and a half), but we had fun experimenting with new combos and figuring it all out. For dessert we had a fabulous chocolate cake infused with caramel sauce, and topped with whipped cream and Heath Bar pieces. It was fabulous (and surprisingly gluten free)!


Then we remembered to open presents and went on a walk. It was casual, but a really nice day!

1 comment: