Monday, May 11, 2015

Mother's Day & LOTS of Rain

This weekend was a slow one. It rained a ton, so we didn't get a chance to do much which was exactly the break we needed! Friday Dave swung by Lowes and picked up rocks to pour around the stepping stones and where the fire pit is going to live. It was raining, so he bought them with anticipation of hopefully laying them Saturday. We went to the temple Friday night, and it was so nice! Traffic was horrible getting there, but it was so nice to get to go. We sat at talked in the Celestial room after for quite a while before heading home.

Saturday I had my last quilting class of the year! Well, technically the last one is in June, but I'll be in North Carolina for that one. So this is the last one I'm going to attend. I've been waffling back and forth about signing up for next year's class or not… and Saturday made my decision for me. My mom was spring cleaning out her sewing stuff/stash and I probably ended up with 7 projects! So really I'm set for the next 7 years. Some of them are just collections of material in complimentary colors, but some are completed squares just waiting for someone to make them into something! So I went through them all, and have my work cut out for me (although I probably won't start anything until late June). We also ended up with food and a few other odds and ends.


 The boy's favorite things we inherited were costumes! They spent all weekend being a fire fighter, cowboy, and viking! Their favorite is the viking so there's a lot of fighting over the hat with horns. Logan will tell you he's Lyle the Viking and when Dustin wears the hat he's Bob the Viking. We even went on our walk this morning dressed as fire men (both boys had a hat).

Saturday Dave's parent's also kidnapped the boys for the day. They were supposed to go to the zoo, but since it rained all day long, they only made a brief appearance there, then went bowling. They had so much fun. Dave prepped his lessing while I was at quilting, and when I got home we relaxed.  That night we braved the rain and went to the mall to do some Mother's Day shopping. The boys both picked out a gift for me and we spent hours in the Lego store! They (and Dave) were in HEAVEN! So many toys to play with!

Sunday we had a relaxing Mother's Day. We had Raspberry White Chocolate Chip muffins for breakfast. Dustin went to Nursery. I dropped him off, and I only had to go calm him once. He stayed the rest of the time just great! Logan had to go potty 3 times during church, and since Dave was teaching, I got to take him each time (he threw a fit when the youth tried to get him to go in the men's room instead of the ladies room where I take him… guess we'll have to work on that). We decorated cup cakes for our dessert (I wanted German Chocolate Cake, and I knew the boys wouldn't eat it, so I got a can of frosting for them and a variety of sprinkles and German Chocolate frosting for Dave and I). Then I got to do some sewing!


I finished this bad boy! It's for the nursery rhyme quiet book, and it's supposed to be the 3 little kittens. In the basket are 6 different sets of mittens. So they have to find their mittens, match them, and hang them on the line. It turned out cute! I have 8 scripture pages done, am waiting to receive 8 from the exchange, have 4 nursery rhyme pages done, and am waiting on 1 more from the exchange. So I think I'll try to get 3 more nursery rhyme pages done before the reunion as well as making 2 - 3 book covers for these. Eventually I want a Book of Mormon/Church History, Old Testament, New Testament, and Nursery Rhyme quiet book. But for now I'm just working on 3 and I will mix the church ones into one or two.

Oh, random, but we got the boys an Electric Toothbrush a few weeks ago. After finding a $10 coupon online, I got it for $30. They both throw major fits every time we brush, and now they fight over whose turn it is to brush. They don't do a great job brushing, but it's a lot better than before. And the brush times them, so they know how long to brush for. I got a set of knock off toothbrush heads 12 for $9, so we're set for the next year or two! I would highly recommend one for anyone!


Also, since it was Mother's Day, I can finally share this project!!! I've been secretly working on it for months. I kidnapped a quilt my Grandma Yoder made for my Mom about 40 years ago. It had a few spots where the material wore through, so I patched up those spots with new material. You can see the piece above that was torn.


This is one that's done! It was a lot of work, but it turned out great! The piece above is a different one that has been patched. My mom just loves this quilt (because her mom made it for her), so I wanted to make sure she could enjoy it for years to come.


There was also a tear in the back that I patched up. I forgot to take a picture of that one fixed before I gave it to her, but it worked out well too.

2 comments:

  1. What a neat project to do for your mom! My mom also had a log cabin quilt that my grandma made. Must have been a popular pattern 40 years ago.

    Also, The Three Little Kittens is my favorite children's book. Love the quiet book page you made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and thanks! The quilt took forever, but she loves it! I am afraid two other colors are about to tear through, so now it's just for display. But at least she still has it for the memories.

      I love how the quiet book pages turned out too! It's funny, I have to explain the 3 little kittens page to most people (I thought it was a pretty common one).

      Delete