Sunday, August 2, 2015

In Which We Sew & Run


Look at what I finished this week!!! It's machine quilted and bound! And I love it. It makes me smile every time I see it and think of the ladies who made it.


I tried some new quilting patterns on this quilt. This one is a swirl pattern to match the waves.


On this one I did circles. They remind me of little pebbles or sand. I used this on all the sand in the quilt, and a few other squares too. It took awhile to really get good at this one, but I'm glad I tried it! It will be a fun one to have in my repourtour.


Then I tried some waves for all the blocks that have water (well, except the two waves that got swirls).


And I finished it off with some clouds. They were really fun and whimsical. I think it would be a fun one for a baby quilt.


And I can finally see the material on the back! I love it, wouldn't it make a fun Lava Lava (wrap around skirt)? I love how the blanket turned out, and so do the boys… Logan has to use it every time he needs a blanket. He's already spilled juice on it, but fortunately it washed out. Sigh, little boys!


Saturday Dave had his second half marathon! His first one was last year (July 24th). He ran that one in 2 hours and 19 minutes. This year he ran 13.1 miles in 2 hours and 2 minutes! For his division he was 64th out of 315 men. So he's faster than 80% of the guys in his age group! We had fun watching all the runners, waiting for Dave. Logan told everyone that ran by "Good job, you run really fast! Where's my Dad?"


Here's Dave headed the last .1 mile to the finish line. It was a beautiful morning. Dave said when he got up to the top of the mountain the moon was just setting  and the sun was coming up.


Friday night we got a hotel in American Fork, because Dave had to be dropped off at 4am! And I didn't want him to have to drive 45 minutes all by himself that early in the morning (and loose that much  more sleep).


So we drove down as soon as Dave got off work, checked in, and went to see the Minions movie. The boys loved it! I've never seen Logan laugh so hard, it was hilarious to watch him watch. Dustin loved the songs! He danced to every one. Then we went out to eat and headed back to the hotel for swimming. The boys had a blast and Logan was brave enough to swim around all by himself (with his water wings). I think next year we'll get him in swimming lessons so he can really enjoy the water.


And here's a pic with his metal! The boys fought over it so much, Dave had to get out last years metal so they both could have one to wear.


He did a great job! We're looking forward to his next half marathon in September. I don't know how much time he'll shave off between now and then, especially since his toe is hurting after this race. But we're excited to cheer for him again. Logan told Dave he wants to run the next race with him. But not down the mountain, because that would be a long time. And he might have to walk some too.

Saturday night we had a Stake BBQ to admire our float from the 24th of July parade. They had a bounce house with water for the kids to enjoy, food, and did a drawing for the pieces of the float. I won some material which I will probably use to make bags to organize the kids toys (why do I always need more of those?)


Sunday we had a movie afternoon (so Dave and I could get in a well deserved nap), followed by hide and go seek. You may think Dustin is crying in this picture, but he's not. He's "hiding". He thinks if he covers his eyes you can't see him. It's pretty cute to see him "hiding" in the middle of the room, covering his eyes and saying "peep" so you know where he is!

And the iron in the back ground is an indicator of the next quilt I'm about to finish. It's been in process for 1.5 years… So it's about time I finished it! I'm sure pictures will come soon. It needs to be pinned, quilted and bound. Then I'll only have two more quilts in my stack to finish (one for Dustin's birthday in November, and one for Christmas).

No comments:

Post a Comment