Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Fish Experiment: Fillets and Spinach with Balsamic Vinagrette

I lost a lot of my fishy steam over the past few weeks. I decided Sunday it was time to dive back in again. When I went to the freezer I discovered that we only had 3 pieces of fish left! I thought it was rather fishy (I kill myself) since we should have had 8 pieces left. I think Dave and Cheyenne must have secretly cooked the fish Fridays while I was at work.

This recipe is FABULOUS! The Balsamic Vinegrette dressing hides almost all of the fishy taste, and is fabulous in and of itself. So fish lovers and haters, give it a whirl!

1 lb Fresh or frozen tilapia filets (cut 1 inch thick)
4 cups fresh baby spinach leaves 1/4 medium onion (cut into wedges)
1 medium red or yellow sweet pepper (cut into thin strips)
1/8 t. salt
1/8 t. black pepper
2 T. balsamic vinegar
1 T. honey

In a large skillet cook 1 onion in 1 tablespoon hot olive oil over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes, or until tender and slightly golden. Add sweet peppers; cook and stir for 1 minute more.



Remove from heat, blot with paper towel, and mix with spinach in 4 separate bowls. Meanwhile, sprinkle fish with salt and black pepper.



In the same large skillet cook fish with remaining 2 tablespoons hot oil over medium heat for 4 minutes. Carefully turn fish. Cook fish 3 minutes more or until fish begins to flake when tested with a fork. Place fish on top of spinach mixture.

For vinaigrette, in a small bowl stir together balsamic vinegar and honey. Add to skillet. Cook and stir until heated through, scraping up any browned bits. Spoon vinaigrette over fish and spinach mixture (I cut up the fish before hand, because it sounded more eater-friendly).


So that's the last of the fish experiments. I've decided although I don't like fish in the least, I probably should eat and cook it more often. It is healthy after all... So eventually more will come. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You are a daring woman and since I'm trying to schedule fish for once a week on our meal calendar I think I will definitely have to try that for next weeks calendar. (This week there are too many other foods that I like better than fish, this is a weekly point of procrastination on my goal to eat it once a week so I average about twice a month.) Check out my blog for a great orange dressing that is wonderful for salads with fruit. (My favorite!)

    ReplyDelete