Friday, April 16, 2010

In which we discuss how crunchy I am

Only recently I’ve realized I’m a little crunchy. You know granola? Don’t worry, I still shower and shave my legs, but I do little things to conserve energy and the environment. Here are a few examples:

  • I wash and re-use our ziplock bags until they get a hole,  slice through them, or until they are used on meat
  • Our trashcan is the same size as our recycle-can, and they’re right beside each other in the kitchen
  • We bought an energy star fridge for the basement apartment, and when our upstairs fridge dies, we plan to replace that with an energy efficient fridge
  • When we moved into the house we replaced all our inside bulbs with energy efficient bulbs
  • I bake all our bread so we get the raw nutrients in the natural wheat that I grind myself
  • We use organic brown rice for everything
  • We plan to grow our own tomatoes to make our own salsa
  • I’m excited to make our apricots into Apricot Jelly this fall
  • I want raspberry bushes so we can make raspberry jelly too
  • We shop at Thrift stores and like it
  • I plan to put our kids in cloth diapers
  • I lust after my Grandparent’s water saver washing machine, I think about it at least every time I wash clothes

Which leads me to my next crazy/granola idea: I want to put up a clothesline on our gazebo. Now I know that the best clotheslines are in direct sunlight, but I don’t want one in the middle of our already small yard. I also thought it would be convenient to have it under the gazebo because all we have to do is put in some rings, string it up, and it’s done! No installing poles in cement. Also, when it rains, I don’t have to freak out and quickly pull down all the already wet clothes. It just sounds like a great way to save a little more energy.

I don’t think I’ll put this project into effect until I’m no longer working, but we’ll see. I would love to save power now, but I don’t like the idea of hanging them up after washing on Wednesday nights and leaving them up until I get home from work the next day. But then again, it’s out of the way, it probably won’t be a problem, and I don’t think the bachelor neighbor next door will want to steal our clothes!

Also, eventually I need to decide how many rungs I’ll need to install to have enough space for all our clothes, and how much clothesline to buy. I’m thinking 6 on each side will do. I’ve read all about this on different sites, so I’m feeling pretty confident. It would be great if we could stop using the drier all together, but we’ll see!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Amy! Way to go! Very noble aspiring to use cloth diapers.....I know they don't end up in landfills, but the amount of water and energy they use kind of negates the "green" factor. And you'll go through like 10-12 of them a day at first. Just FYI. I have a lot better ways to spend my time than washing diapers!

    I am impressed that you grind your own wheat to make your own bread! You are lucky to have an apricot tree. And a mom who has taught you how to do all that awesome stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should totally start now since the weather is nice and fresh clothes off the line just smell soooo good! We use to have one at our old house and I loved it but I don't think we're allow in our current Homeowners association.
    You're clothes should dry pretty fast too since you have relatively low humidity. Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eh, Melissa, I figure with all the dirty kids clothes I'll have to wash anyway a few more diapers aren't going to make me wash an extra load or anything. I've researched the systems available and the one I want to use has a removable core that is about the size of a big maxi pad which is removed after each use. The shell is only switched out on a daily basis. So it's not as much washing as the old school diapers.

    So I will be saving the environment (every little bit counts). Besides, Think of all the money you spend every month on diapers. I'll be spending $400 total on diapers for the life of our baby. So even if we weren't able to be more energy efficient, we'll be saving money.

    I don't know how to can yet, but I'm hoping Mom & Dad will teach us! It could go horribly wrong, but it could go awesomely right. You never know until you try it!

    As for Katherine, I probably will try out the clothes line soon, but it will probably have to wait for Dave to get out of school for the summer! I'm struggling to keep up with the yard, house work, cooking and everything right now with Dave doing finals! I will keep you posted on how it all goes! My Mother-in-law says she did this for the majority of their lives, so maybe I can get some tips from her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey amy! awesomness... pure awesomeness! (sp?)
    anyways, i do/did the whole cloth diaper thing until our septic system went out... totally worth it! it just takes getting used to.

    and to the youders... it's only 2-3 more loads of laundry a week. and just a matter of priorities, not a waste of time :)

    i just love love loved my cloth diapers... so when you get to that point let me know... i have a few "ah-ha!" things that i found out.

    love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s.... what washer do your grandparent's use?

    ReplyDelete