Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Beans in a Pot 16 hours old


I wanted you to see how much these bad boys grow! HOLEY COW they got big. I added a cup, and they looked so lonely in the bottom of the Crockpot, that I added another bag full. They turned out well, and considering how much they grow/how many beans you get for a dollar, a steal of a deal (1.5 bags = 8 cans worth)! I will be doing this again to substitute for the canned ones.

Here's how they're cooked... Remove all shriveled, split or generally gross looking bean. Rinse beans thoroughly with cold water. Add  to the Crockpot bowl. Fill with water 2.5 - 3 inches above the bean line. Let the beans soak for 8 hours (I put them in before I left for work so they probably got 12ish hours of soaking). If you live in a warm climate, place in the fridge to soak so the beans don't grow bacteria.

Rinse out beans and pour out all soaking liquid. Pour back into Crockpot and fill with water 1 - 2 inches above the bean line. Cook beans for 8 hours on low (I did this while we slept, because I knew I would need to use these in a recipe the next day). You can freeze these for up to three months, and I'm told 1.5 cups is the equivalent of 1 can of beans. So I divided these out into 1.5 cup ziplock bags and stuck them in the freezer.

We've used these bad boys to make Black Bean Salsa Chicken, Chicken Enchiladas, and so many great and inexpensive recipes! I would highly recommend crocpot beans to anyone that eats beans.

4 comments:

  1. Beans, Beans, the magical fruit...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought it was the musical fruit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Either way it always ends the same!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the more you eat, the more you toot, the more you toot, the better you feel, so let's have beans with every meal! (just hadda do it!)

    ReplyDelete