Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Stelthy Food Storage Project

In October Dave and I started working on our food storage. I felt we should have something for some reason, and a month later got laid off! Perfect timing, right? But for the first time in our married life I felt the need, and so we started to store. We now have a pantry full of canned food and pastas (being my mother's child, those will probably last us 2 months if needed), and about 6 months worth of the number 10 cans that will last 10 – 20 years (dehydrated will last 10, freeze dried will last 20).

When we stop renting our basement out we can store these easily in the basement kitchen, but for now fitting these boxes of #10 cans in our 1,100 square feet has presented a challenge. I settled for placing them behind the large couch in the living room. Only one person has noticed them since we moved them back there, so I feel pretty good about our stealthy hiding place. See, they’re not noticeable from the front, just from the side.


But from the side you can see that we're stealthily hiding  6 months worth of food for 2



We also have huge tubs of flour, wheat kernels, brown rice, sugar and some jugs of water chilling in our kitchen. For the longest time I just had them sitting in the corner. But last week I got out the leaf for the kitchen table to have guests over to dinner and afterward had a grand idea. What if I used the leaf to make our tubs look like a table/side counter in the kitchen? I don’t usually bake except on weekends, so it’s not like I need to access these supplies regularly. And the only time we need our leaf is when guests eat with us.



So I placed the leaf on top of the tubs, and rummaged through my material to find the curtain I picked up for $4 at Bed Bath & Beyond on clearance (intending to re-cover our living room pillows). The results? Not too shabby if I do say so, and definitely better than tubs chilling in my kitchen! Here’s the finished results, what do you think?



7 comments:

  1. You could put a faux table top on your boxes, too, and it could be a behind-the-couch table. I saw something where they made a FIFO shelf behind the couch and topped it all fancy. Quite clever, really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that too! I considered it, but this is only a temporary solution, so probably not worth the work. I have considered putting a table cloth or some material over it though. We'll see if I ever get a lull in my projects (yah right!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoa! You're a genius! I'm impressed with the table-kept-up-by-food-storage. You rock! If only I were so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, how much brown rice do you eat?! It doesn't have a very long shelf life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TONS! We've gone through a Costco size bag... in a few months... We don't eat white rice any more, and love throwing most everything on top of rice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty Creative! I might just have to employ that technique in my dining room. I've gotten incrediably slack in food storage. It doesn't help that it cost just as much to ship the heavy stuff as it does to buy it. Be grateful you live close to stores where it is readily available.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You would think with us living in Utah we would have bought our food storage locally… but we actually got it from Costco online. They shipped free when we ordered (might want to see if they still do) and it ended up costing $800 for one person for a year($2 a day). The freeze-dried stuff lasts 20 years (fruits, veggies, and meats), and the dehydrated stuff lasts 10 years. That is if you keep it in 60 – 70 degree weather. They usually have the stuff on sale and you can find it here:

    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11487214&search=thrive&Mo=10&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=thrive&Ntt=thrive&No=10&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

    ReplyDelete