Saturday, May 22, 2010

It's a bird, it's a plane... nope, they're kittens!

Dave decided that this weekend he was going to power wash off our gazebo and vacuum out the car. He decided this before the weather presented itself a miserable windy rainy forty degrees. But he was determined so he braved the weather to get the job done (as I sat cuddled up in a blanket reading on the couch). When he started spraying down the gazebo he was met with loud cries of protest which he thought must be birds.

He was surprised to find the cries coming from below the gazebo rather than from above. He realized they were kittens, and since getting under the gazebo would be quite the feat, we unscrewed and pulled up one of the boards to get down into the poor miserable little guys! when we finally got in, they were huddled together shivering in a puddle. They were so young that their eyes weren't even open, so they couldn't see to get away from the water.

We pulled them out, dried them off and tried our best to warm them up. We asked the neigbor across the street if they could belong to their cats (which was quite the feat since they are both deaf), and called Sheila to get some cat advice. Fortunately when I went to Petco to get some milk and bottles to feed the little guys I fortunately ran into a lady that runs an animal rescue facility.

She could clearly see I had no idea what to do with these cats! She said if I donated the food and bottle to the agency then she would take them off my hands. I was so grateful especially since I found out you have to feed these little guys every 2 hours day and night! What an adventure for us!!!

2 comments:

  1. Whoa! Feed cats every 2 hours! That seems like a hecka lotta work! (hmmm... kinda like a newborn baby). :) Glad it worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Especially for two people that work full time... I can just see my boss's face if I were to tell her that I needed a cat feeding break every two hours! AND you have to make them poop, because they don't do it on their own.

    ReplyDelete