Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Best Oatmeal You've EVER Tasted!

I've never been a big oatmeal fan. Lately I've been trying to eat more of it because I know it's good for you, but it's never been something I would choose to eat. A few months ago work brought in some oatmeal from Jamba Juice. It was the best stuff I've ever tasted, and I've been thinking about the recipe since. I'm not willing to pay $3 for a little bowl of oatmeal, and I figured if I could find a recipe, I would give it a whirl.

This weekend I found Steel Cut oats at Sunflower Market (a kinda hippy-farmer's market local grocery store), so I bought a pound, picked up some soy milk and found a recipe I could tweak online. The results were just fabulous! Best oatmeal I've ever had. After tasting it Dave said he was expecting it to be really gross, but was surprised that he liked it better too. I'm going to try experimenting with it to see if I can use regular milk and just add vanilla to it, but at this point, here's the recipe as we tried it.

Steel Cut Oatmeal



1 T butter
1 c steel cut oats
3 c boiling water
1 c vanilla soy milk (I used low fat)
fruit, nuts and brown sugar to taste

In a large sauce pot, melt the butter and add the oats. Toast the oats for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the boiling water and reduce heat to a summer. Simmer on low for 25 minutes, stirring 5 minutes before the time is up.

Pour the soy milk into the oatmeal, stir in, and cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon into a bowl and top with brown sugar, fruit and nuts. Makes 4 servings.

It took about an hour to cook all together, but it was well worth the time. Also, we refrigerated the leftovers (we didn't know it would make 4 servings), and it reheated fabulously! I added a little more soy milk to it when microwaving it, but it tasted just as good as the first day. 

I just love how this oatmeal feels like it has more substance to it. It's thicker and more hearty. I added strawberries and nuts to mine, and it just gave it a little crunch and zest that I've never found in an oatmeal before! This recipe is definitely a keeper.



2 comments:

  1. We love steel oats! i use my pressure cooker to make them mmmmmm. and also instead of cow's milk or soy we like almond milk. give it a whirl and you've got a great non-animal protein breakfast thats is super yummy and super good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried the granola recipe and LOVED it! Made some for a friend and the missionaries, put it in a cute container with a little tag and was hailed Queen Supreme. (Well in my own head, anyway!)Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete