Sunday, January 16, 2011

Homemade Granola & Yogurt

Saturday was just crazy! I got a lot done though. I baked a loaf of bread, tried a new recipe for pesto lasagna in the crock pot, tried a fabulous new granola recipe, and made some strawberry & blueberry yogurt.

The granola was exactly what I was looking for! I wanted something a little more chunky so we could eat it sprinkled over yogurt, but still had a good enough flavor to add some dried fruit to and eat with milk. The recipe I found is perfect for both! After it had cooled, it had set up in one big chunk, and easily crumbled into what ever size chunks desired. So I thought I'd share the recipe with you.



Coconut Almond Granola
2/3 c oil
1 c honey
1 T vanilla
6 c oats
1/2 c wheat flour
1/2 c powdered milk
1 c almonds (or other nut)
1 c coconut
(if desired add 1/2 c cranberries and 1/2 c apricots)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Melt together oil, honey, and vanilla over low heat. In a separate bowl mix together oats, flour, powdered milk, almonds, and coconut (and dried fruit if desired). Pour honey mixture over dry mixture and mix well. Spread out on parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally until toasted. Let cool at room temperature, break apart to desired size, and store in an air tight container.

We also used our Christmas present yogurt maker for the second time to create strawberry & blueberry yogurt. The first time we made yogurt we just made plain. It worked out, but we discovered it got a little runny when we tried to stir fruit into it. This time we flavored all but one before we started, and it seems to have set up well, but all the fruit we added sunk to the bottom. We'll try it out tomorrow morning for breakfast and see how it turned out. It looks pretty tasty in the jars.


2 comments:

  1. That granola looks delish. I'm excited to see your new and improved office and bookshelves, too! Since the new year started I've been anxious to get going on some house projects. Now if someone could keep my kids for a week or two, I might actually get something done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The yogurt looks really good. I wish I liked it more. Have you tried making greek yogurt? I actually like that kind. I'm excited to try the granola recipe. I wish I had time today but we have stake conference and I'm getting a new washer put in since the old one died. I've got around 9 loads to do!

    ReplyDelete