Monday, February 28, 2011

In which we discuss the nursery and baby thing


It's official: I finally feel pregnant! I'm finally starting to look pregnant (only at night time), and I think that was the biggest step. I went to distribution at lunch last Thursday, picked up the children's scriptures, children's hymns on CD and ordered maternity garments. There's so much church stuff for kids that would be fun to have, but I did my best at controlling myself. I've got years to buy all that stuff!

I also had my third doctor's appointment this morning. Everything is still looking perfect! The babies heart beat, my blood pressure and weight, and my waist is measuring good. We scheduled the ultra sound for March 23rd. We're just too excited to find out if we're having a boy or a girl. 




We've been pretty busy in the nursery. When we moved into our house there was a garage sale down the street and we found a crib that was in good condition for $30. The owners were the grandparents, so this crib only got use when their grand kids were visiting. We put it up this week for a few reasons: (1. it's a drop side crib, and I wanted to see if it was safe, or if we needed to buy a new one (2. I wanted to set it up before I was way too big to help (3. it's been sitting in the shed for almost two years, and it needs some serious cleaning!

So we've set it up, wiped it down, got in and shook it like a mad man (even had Dave bounce on the drop side) and decided it's safe. If we can't make the thing fall down, chances are a 30 lb baby won't be able to. Besides, both our parents used drop side cribs and neither us nor our siblings are any worse for the ware. So now that's cleaned up our nursery has all the essentials!


I've also been working on a few gifts for a baby shower for our friend Amanda (Andy Poulson's wife). She's due in April and is had her shower was last weekend. So I've been putting together what I call the diaper bag survival kit. I bought a lot of the mini products you can buy in the travel section, a few toys and a change of clothes.

Also, I made a few things that I also got enough for my diaper bag as well. First is a pacifier clip that you can attach to different pacifiers. It was super easy and really inexpensive. I foresee myself making a few different colors of these so my baby's pacifier matches his/her outfit. Also, I made a few simple spit up cloths. I'm getting better at the quick and easy ones, since I didn't have the time to crochet these. I had other projects in mind, but since I only got two weeks notice, they just didn't get done before the shower.


While I was at Girls Weekend at the cabin I worked hard on one of two receiving blankets my mom bought the material for. The idea is for me to crochet a scalloped edge around both, but it's taking a lot of work. I took a picture of the first one, even though it's only half way done at this point. I just couldn't help myself, it's already too cute!


Last, but not least, Dave finished the Whinny the Pooh pictures he's been working on for decorating the nursery! He drew them months ago (since I wanted to give a copy of them to my Sister-in-law for her baby shower), but only finished them recently. He sketched, watercolored, and outlined these bad boys. I matted and framed them ($2 in the As-Is section of Ikea). I'm so excited to get these up in the room, but will have to wait until I'm sure on the placement of the crib. I would like to place these on a shelf above the crib with classic Pooh stuffed animals, but we'll see if that actually works out.

So the Nursery is slowly starting to materialize from the mess that was my office! Hopefully we'll be all done by August. 

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe Dave made those Winnie the Pooh drawings!!! Wow! The nursery is coming together--that is the most fun part of being pregnant. That crib looks just like ours, just a lighter tone. Love it.

    Have you been sick at all, or have you been one of the few lucky ones out there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friends used zip ties to keep the side up on their drop-side. Extra safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The nursery looks great! Loved the pics of Winnie! Dave should do more art. Your baby is going to be totally decked out months before he/she arrives! Babies are fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! Dave's a great artist (which is why Graphic Design will be perfect for him). He actually has a project where he has to create a toy for a three year old, so we'll see what he comes up with for that.

    Making baby stuff has been so much fun, and it doesn't take too much time. Gives me a million projects to work on. It's customized to what I want that way and so much cuter than the store bought stuff

    Cathie - thanks for the great idea on the crib! I love that I don't have to do any drilling to make that work. At this point the drop side is in the lowest position, so it can't drop any farther than it already is, but I'll use that when we have to raise it.

    ReplyDelete