Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Third Quilting Class

Last Thursday was my third quilting class. It's been crazy busy around here, so I only finished my two squares the day before and didn't have a chance to post a picture and write a blog post of them. So these are the two squares from class two:



Half Square Triangles and Flying Geese. I was a little confused by the flying geese, and could use some practice to get them to line up better, but over all I love how that square turned out! The Flying Geese square is probably my favorite one so far. After the class is over I'll make more squares with these shapes, since our teacher gave us a few patterns for star shapes and I just love those.


This week we learned paper piecing. It's interesting because you print out a pattern, and sew the pieces you cut together onto the back of the paper. It was really interesting to learn, although not half as intuitive as the rest of the quilting has been so far. I liked how fast it was done though. I was about to crank out the two hearts in about an hour, although the Pineapple design took a lot more work. It was also really nice I could use my scrap pieces to put these together. So material that might have gone to waste otherwise got used after all.

Sadly enough, I'm going to miss my class next Thursday because we're having a Ladies weekend at my parent's cabin! Excited for the trip, but sad I'll be missing the class since it's on Applique. That's the only quilting style I was really nervous to learn. I've asked the teacher if she would print out extra handouts for me, and I'm sure she would briefly review it with me during the next class.

I'm officially half way through my classes now, and I've really enjoyed them. Some of the first patterns I could have taught myself, but the Flying Geese and this week's paper piecing I know I couldn't have gotten right without guidance. I love most of my pieces, and am so excited to get done so I can make them all into a lap quilt for the living room! It's going to be so cute, and I know I'm going to love picking this up as a hobby. 

1 comment: