Saturday, February 12, 2011

Pretzel Date Night!



I love Fridays! Partly because the week is over and it's finally the weekend. Partly because I have a strict "Amy doesn't cook on Fridays" rule. This doesn't necessarily mean we'll be eating out, most of the time we'll have leftovers or canned or frozen foods that don't really require cooking. But Dave's been really pushing for a baking Friday all week.

He's thrown around every dessert idea from Fruit Pizza to very involved Cakes. Finally he found my sweet spot and suggested home made pretzels. I've been just dyeing to make some cinnamon sugar pretzels since I saw the recipe on a blog my friend recommended. I've shown the picture to Dave a few times and told him how much I want to make them. But we've just been so busy lately that it hasn't happened.

So we made a date night out of it! I mean honestly, when else do you have 2 1/2 hours to devote to making a snack? We got a pizza for dinner (you better believe I wasn't going to wash other dishes on top of pretzel dishes), grabbed a movie, and went to work! They turned out fabulous and we will be making them again, although probably not frequently since they take so long to make.



We made cinnamon sugar ones and dipped them in frosting, but also made plain salt ones and dipped them in cheese. They were just heaven hot out of the oven! They were also good the next morning for breakfast, but I'd recommend not buttering and topping them until you're ready to eat them. The top got damp over night in the tupperware we stored them in.

I took the recipe from Sprinkles of Parsley. The only change I made was to make the dough in my bread maker so we didn't have to worry about them and got an hour of movie watching in while waiting for the dough to be ready. Make a date night out of it! You won't be disappointed

4 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! How did your chocolates turn out? Any recipes I need to have?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! GREAT idea! I am a sucker for pretzels as well. I like my super soft so I usually like Pretzel Time's pretzels (if I buy them). I'll have to log this away!

    Oh, and I am very much wanting to go to girls night. The only thing that would keep me from coming is my memory! Does your mom need me to RSVP?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathryn - the chocolate covered caramels are just to die for! I'll get you the recipe for that one. Tonight I'll finish the chocolate truffles (it's my mom's recipe so I already know it's a good one), the PB cups were ok, but I'd look for a different filling for next time.

    Nikki - You don't have to RSVP, but it might be good to give us a tentative "if I'm hoping to make it xxxday night." I'm making chocolates for Saturday night, and I was trying to calculate how many packets I'll need to make so everyone gets one. Also I'm in charge of dinner Saturday night and don't want to make too much or not enough food. I haven't heard if a few people are coming which makes it more difficult to pack food for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on the pretzels Amy! So happy you liked the recipe :) Thanks for following my blog!

    ReplyDelete