Wednesday, October 5, 2011

October Means Halloween

The past two weeks have been pretty busy for the Plastow household! Logan decided he needed to eat more (30 minutes per side every two hours), but this week he's back down to his normal 20 minutes per side every 3 hours. Which is good, because I couldn't get anything done when he was eating that much!

I did learn to hand sew while nursing, so I've been working on all kinds of hand sewing projects. I was able to finish Heather's baby Brier's crochet blanket this way. It turned out pretty cute! I also designed and finished a Halloween door hanging for the back door.


This project ended up costing $3.33 total. I got most of the felt free from my Grandma Yoder (just had to buy the orange), the ribbon I had left over from our wedding (used it to tie my bouquet), so I just had to buy plastic canvas to make the felt more sturdy and the thick black string. This made me want to create something out of felt for Thanksgiving (if I find the time).

Finishing this decoration made me feel the intense need to decorate for Halloween! I bought some candy corn in honor of my mom and put them in a glass jar on the coffee table. I pulled out our autumn wreath to put on the front door, put out a basket of decoration leaves and fruit I found last year after halloween for $2, and found some cool squash at the grocery store that I suppose you could eat, but let's be honest, these are going to be decorating the house until they rot! They're too cute to eat.


We've also taken to dressing Logan up in a variety of  costumes to practice for the big night. Dave's favorite is putting one of my bandannas on Logan's head and calling him a pirate. My favorite is this glow in the dark skeleton costume





What can I say, we had so much fun that day taking pictures! Logan has started reacting to our smiles, so it's now a lot easier to get cute pictures of him smiling or giggling. He's also started having "conversations" with us. If we're talking to him, he'll coo back when there's a pause in the conversation. It's so cute and we have tons of fun just chatting with him and getting him to smile.

This Sunday is Logan's baby blessing so I've been working on altering his baby blessing outfit to fit him perfectly. He's pretty skinny, so I had to take it in on the sides, and I raised the legs a few inches so he doesn't get his feet caught inside them. It should turn out well, and should be done by Sunday. I think for our next boy I'll just make him a little suit (or maybe a little tux with a bow-tie if I get ambitious). From the alterations on this one, I don't think it would be too hard.

2 comments:

  1. That door hanging is way cute! So is Logan!! I love skeleton jammies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the door hanging! Logan is so cute. Kirstin had the cutest pumpkin halloween costume when she was about 6 mos. old. It came with a little hat that had a stem. I loved it - they're so fun at that age.

    ReplyDelete