Thursday, December 22, 2011

In which the toaster oven goes up in flames (literally)

A few days ago I got a call from Alison asking if I could babysit Andrea so she could go to her sister Katie's Endowment. Absolutely! Since Dave told me Tuesday that he needed to bring a treat to work on Thursday, I knew I needed to get some baking done, so I decided to do the baking in the morning rather than in the afternoon when I had two babies. Wednesday is also laundry day, so I thought I could easily get this done while juggling two loads of laundry.

First I started some Rocky Road Brownies for Dave's work. We created the recipe last week, and just can't get enough of them! While they were baking, I started a batch of Samoa Bars (think Girl Scout Cookies). While in the middle of baking the cookie layer, I started mixing up a batch of Banana Bread (mini loaves to bring to neighbors with two other flavor breads). Then I remembered I needed to toast the coconut to go on top of the Samoa Bars.

And here is where I got overwhelmed... Logan decided it was time for a nap, so I put the coconut in the toaster over to brown, and carried him into his bedroom for nap time. As I was in the middle of telling him Andrea was coming over so he needed to rest so he could play later, the fire alarm goes off! Then the second one starts blaring and Logan starts screaming.

I run into the kitchen and the coconut had combusted, flames were lapping the glass door. So I grabbed the baking soda and dowsed the fire. Needless to say I spent the rest of what started as such a productive morning cleaning up my fire. And the Samoa Bars didn't even turn out! All that work for nothing.

We had fun playing with Andrea when she came over. She danced like a mad woman! With 3 teddy bears, but they weren't jealous of each other. Nap time for her was interesting. Mike said to read her a story, then wrap her up tight in a blanket and she would fall asleep. So I did so, walked out, and a few minutes later went to peak. She was inch worming herself to the edge of the pack and play I put her in, then she managed to stand up burrito style and peak out at me. So I laid her back down and we tried again until she fell asleep.

As for the Rocky Road Brownies, they're super easy, and well worth the work



Rocky Road Brownies

1 box brownie mix
ingredients to make brownie mix
1/2 bag marshmallows
1/2 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 c slivered almonds

Make brownies according to directions, but remove from oven 5 minutes before done. Sprinkle with marshmallows, chocolate chips, and almonds. Put back in the oven for the remaining 5 minutes. Let cool most of the way before serving. To cut, use a butter knife and dip in water after each cut.

2 comments:

  1. HA!! Oh....I love cooking disaster stories....makes me feel better about my own mishaps! I have totally left things in the stove or oven too long, having been distracted by my kids. Happens all the time! Those brownies look really good, mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK.... So I tried a new cake recipe the other day and it was so bad I threw it in the trash. (I'm pretty cheap so it has to be really bad for me to totally toss a batch!) I think you're pretty amazing to do it all and still have energy to blog. Speaking of blogs- I think I have one of those....

    ReplyDelete