Monday, June 16, 2014

Father's Day Weekend

It's been a LONG week! Dave's been working insane hours (leaves for work at 7:15, getting home around 10). He got home "early" on Wednesday (8:30) and it was nice to get to see him that night. Fortunately Dave's paid hourly, so at least he'll get paid for all this extra work.

The crazy week of being a "single mom" made me really appreciate Dave for Father's Day. The boys missed him like crazy. Logan's been acting up, and I know it's because I'm exhausted by 6:30 (when Dave usually gets home) and don't have extra energy to rough house with Logan like he thinks he needs.

So Sunday we did our best to spoil Dave. I got up early and made some strawberry white chocolate chip muffins. The boys slept in to 8:20, so I climbed back in bed after the muffins were done. After church Dave was supposed to open his gifts, but Logan was so excited, he insisted Dave open the Saturday "I bought this one for you Dad! It's Licorice! You can eat some and share some with me." So we ate lunch, took a little nap, and spent some needed time playing with the boys! Dave and the boys played outside, got soaked, and just had fun.

Around 7 we ate dinner (steak gorgonzola and garlic bread). We made some sorbet throughout the week (mango and strawberry), so we had a scoop of each for dessert. The mango turned out fabulous, but the strawberry wasn't the best. The secret of the mango? I added one egg white. It helps it be creamy and not as rock solid. It was the best sorbet we've ever made!

I've been teasing Dave & Dustin since Mother's Day that Dustin had a month to learn to say Dada for Father's Day. Saturday he said it for the first time! I swear I'm not making this up. Sunday I heard him say it 3 times, so for Mother's Day I got Mama and for Father's day Dave got Dada! Talk about perfect baby.

As for the rest of the week last week Thursday we had Rea, Sara, and Auntie Alison over to play! Logan had so much fun, about an hour after they left he said "remember when my cousins came over? That was so much fun!" They played with food, blocks, stuffed animals, went on adventures scaling the Luv Sac, swords, and pretty much every toy we have in the basement. Sara would stop every once in a while to snuggle Dustin. It was so cute.

Some reflection on having the cousins over. After I invited the girls to come play I realized they usually go to "pre-school" at other kids houses. This is structured in some way so they have some learning experience. Then I started stressing out. "I should make a lesson or an activity, or at least a craft. I don't have the energy to do it this week..."

I realized it didn't matter. The kids had fun just playing with toys. As a mom, sometimes we can do the extras, but most times we just have to do what we need to in order for us to survive. As Moms we compare ourselves like crazy, and we just have to do what we do best. We are the ones called to be the Moms of these little people, not someone else. So I'm embracing my strengths and going with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment